In this first interview with Singapore football legend, Fandi Ahmad, we discover how he prepare himself mentally and physically before each game. Pay close attention as he reveal his tips to become Singapore’s football legend.
Just some of Fandi Ahmad Achievements
– By the time he was 15, Fandi had become a first-team player for Kaki Bukit in the National Football League Division 1, the highest level of club football in Singapore at the time
– In 1977, Fandi was vice-captain of the Singapore Under-16 national team that won the Lion City Cup youth tournament
– Fandi was called up for a national training tour of Russia, becoming the youngest footballer to represent Singapore, a record that lasted until 2007
– In February 1982, Jaap Reinders, a scout for the famous Dutch club Ajax Amsterdam, invited Fandi for a trial in Amsterdam. Impressed with Fandi’s performance during the three-week trial in July, Ajax offered him a three-year contract
– He signed a two-year contract with the Dutch FC Groningen team, and became the FIRST Singaporean player to play and score in a European cup competition when he netted the second goal in Groningen’s 2-0 win over Inter Milan in October 1983. At the end of his first season in Holland, he had scored 10 goals in 29 games, and was voted the most popular and skilful player by Groningen fans. In 1999, they voted him into Groningen’s Hall of Fame as one of the club’s 25 best players.